Hill and Valley was established when Mrs. J. Allen Park brought together women in the Hayward, Castro Valley, San Lorenzo, Fremont, Newark areas with the idea of forming a Federated Women’s Club. Mrs. Park was certain that women could accomplish much in the Federation structure. Federation had been started in the eastern part of the country in the 1800’s when women tried to better themselves, their families and their communities.
A group of 250 members began the Hill & Valley Women’s club in 1910 becoming a part of the Alameda and State Federations. Deciding dues, meeting places, officers, elections and by-laws were all approved in March 1910. They became a part of the National Federation in 1912. Strobridge, Gading, Ruus, Smaley, Harder, Oakes, Winton, Walpert, Garin and Moreau were some of the first members of Hill & Valley Club.
Over the years Hill and Valley gave support to National and Regional areas of concern: Red Cross, League of Nations, child labor laws, the blind individual’s white cane, Redwood Grove in Humboldt County, and much support was given to city government, education, outreach and conservation.
In the early years, Mrs. Park’s home was used for committee meetings. Hayward historical landmark buildings were made available to the club for meager rent. It was soon decided that a building fund would be started for a clubhouse. Building was postponed until 1952 because of WWII. The cottage was added in 1963.